CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Narnia Cake and Cupcakes

I can hardly believe my little lad is now 11 years old. Time has really slipped by quickly as it feels like only yesterday I was carrying this little bundle of joy home from the hospital.

Throughout the year my children discuss their upcoming birthdays and talk about what kind of cake they are going to have. It generally changes as the year goes on, which I'm glad about as some of their selections can be quite strange. Last year my son has been really into baseball so it seemed that would be his choice, but as time went on he began to change his mind. He's really into music, especially the drums, and I started to make plans to create a drum set birthday cake. The flavour had been chosen, which was Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, he really doesn't like cake so I wondered if this flavour would help. It did!!!

Right as the last moment though, he changed his mind to a Narnia Cake. He read the book about 2 years ago and really loved it, but we told him he could watch the movie until he was a little older as some of the evil figures are pretty hideous looking. Finally we let him watch it and he chose to turn away at the scene of Aslan's death (I love how sensitive this little chap is). He throughly enjoyed it and has been none stop talking about it and is now whizzing through Prince Caspian, in the hopes that we'll let him watch that one!  One of the wonderful things he observed whilst watching the movie, which I had never thought of, was where Lucy and Susan were walking with him at night through the forest. They had no idea what was going to happen to him. My little boy said "Mummy, that reminds me of when Jesus asked his disciples to go with him to the Garden of Gethsemane, they had no idea what was going to happen to Jesus soon after that!" I was so blessed, I had never seen it that way before.

It is such an amazing book that I really wanted to capture the story in the cake, so I decided to create the wardrobe but also wanted to bring in the world of Narnia. This is what I came up with.




I was so excited to turn my idea of this cake into reality. There were many times when I just couldn't think how a certain part would work, but as I began it just came together very smoothly

The Wardrobe, where the adventure begins

Through the wardrobe into Narnia
One side of the cake was the front of the wardrobe and the other side was Narnia with the famous lamppost and Lucy's little footprints heading towards it. Oh if only I had captured his little face when he saw it! We kept saying that he can now step through the wardrobe to his eleventh year, that made him smile.

The Lamppost and Mr Tumnus' parcels
The Wardrobe and little moth balls that fell out!

Aerial view of both sides (I wonder if this is how God see our lives?!)
We did have fun with this cake and I put it on my lazy susan so the children could see both sides easily. They loved turning it back and forth. It is such a wonderful thing to see the delight in my children's faces when they see their cakes.

For his little school party I made cupcakes and hand painted the fondant toppers. These were a hit and of course my Jack had to save his. It seems he can never fully eat the things I make him as he always wants to save it to remember his special day.



We have had a wonderful time celebrating his birthday. It was busy and tiring, but to see his reaction totally worth all the hours it took!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cake with Chocolate ganache.
It was delicious!

Sugar & Spice, Hannah~

0 comments:

Post a Comment