CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Passing Along The Little I Know!

Since closing my little "business" due to wanting to spend more time with my little one before he goes to school full time next year, I haven't done too much Christmas baking or posting. It has however opened a door to teaching a young girl some of what I know. My eldest son's school teacher's daughter is really into cake making and has many successes but also has those inevitable failures! I think most cake decorators are the same. For some reason cakes have a mind of their own and bulges occur, fondant cracks or tears, air bubbles appear and we are left with a cake looking pretty hideous. I have experienced all of these and more and I think it's finding out how to correct our mistakes and prevent them from happening again that makes the cake decorator have true success.

Since the Christmas break was approaching and there was free time I decided it would be fun to experiment so my little "student" came each day last week and watched me fill, stack, ganache and fondant a cake. Of course I couldn't fondant it correctly and therefore it took me almost 7 attempts!!!! So basically this teaching was "what not to do!" We did have a laugh though.

We then decided to make and fill, stack, and ganache and then fondant another cake, where she did most of the work. This cake was going to be a complete experiment and we decided to make Spice Cake with Gingerbread Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Spiced White Chocolate Ganache. Her family were going to be the guinea pigs!

We kept the design simple and it ended up turning out pretty cute. She did a great job and I know without a shadow of a doubt she will become an amazing cake decorator. She has the passion and patience, and the persistence to continue in this field, which will pay off in the end.


My one concern for this cake was that it was going to be too dry. Hopefully soaking it helped. I did try the leftover scraps along with the buttercream and it had quite an amazing flavour which sent the taste buds wild! I can't wait to hear what her family thought of her masterpiece! 

Thank you for being a guinea pig student Lindsey. It was a fun and pleasurable experience to teach you. Sorry for all the mistakes I made, which probably taught you more about cake making in the end!

Sugar & Spice, Hannah

0 comments:

Post a Comment