CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting



Who doesn't like pumpkins this time of year?!

As soon as October comes round out come the pumpkins and I am thankful that my children love them as much as I do. Their favourite dessert with pumpkin are the pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Another favourite is pumpkin cheesecake and I don't make it often because I simply love cheesecake and end up eating it all!!! I'll even eat it for breakfast, it's so good!

My husband though, can not eat sugar so he prefers pumpkin soup and sugar-free pumpkin pie (which I kind of made up, just so he could have a dessert). The children also love this and devour it before he's even had one piece. Now I find myself having to make a few pies so it will last longer than one day! It's a great recipe and tastes good, but it is a dessert I prefer with sugar.

PUMPKIN CUPCAKES

10oz/285g (2 cups) plain flour or cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
4oz/110g (1 stick) butter
8oz/225g (1 1/4 cups) light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
4floz/120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk - I sometimes make my own.
7oz/200g (3/4 cup) canned 100% pure pumpkin - it's about 1/2 of a 15oz can

Makes 18

To make buttermilk use 1/2 cup of regular milk and pour 1tbsp of white vinegar in. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. It works just as good as buttermilk and is less expense and less wasteful. I would buy buttermilk only use a small amount and then have to throw the rest away after it sat in my fridge for a few weeks.

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and the spices. TIP: I set my oven slightly lower at 335F because I find baking cakes at a lower temp. makes them lighter
  2. Cream together, using an electric mixer, the butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until mixed together (don't over beat). Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk. Once combined together add the pumpkin.
  3. Divide among the lined cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes. TIP: I use a size 16 ice cream scoop to make sure each cupcake has the same amount in. 

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

4oz/110g (1 stick) butter
6oz/175g cream cheese at room temperature
8oz/225g (2 cups) icing/confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

  1. Cream together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy, about 3 mins
  2. Mix on low speed and add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add the vanilla and mix until smooth and combined.
  3. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

I do hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we enjoy it. I have started to double the recipe and it works just as well.

If you are interested in learning how to make the fondant pumpkins let me know and I'll put it up showing you step by step, hopefully just in time for Thanksgiving!

Happy Baking

Sugar & Spice, Hannah~


0 comments:

Post a Comment