CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A "mistakable" Cake

I had mentioned in a previous post about a cake I made and that towards the end a disaster occurred. Well I thought I'd share what happened rather than just showing you the cake and then you thinking I'm such a great cake decorator.  I can assure you that, although my skills may be better than most other mothers, I am far from making a flawless cake. Something inevitably goes wrong.


Everything seemed to be going well with the cake.  The decorations were made, the cake was baked, filled and ganched and it was ready for me to apply the fondant.  This is where the trouble began!  After smoothing out the fondant and trying to get my sharp edges, I noticed air bubbles and thinking I had got rid of them I let the fondant dry overnight.

The morning of the day of delivery I only had to add the decorations and ribbons, make the cupcakes and ice, adding the cap and scroll toppers. Upon seeing the cake I saw how it had shifted slightly overnight, leaving bulges in the side (it was very slight).

So I figured I would just cover the imperfections and get working on the cupcakes. As I began to add the fondant lettering I saw a hairline crack right next to the 'A'.  I continued to work and slowly, slowly the crack got bigger. I stopped work and watched. It moved down the cake and then one went up and over onto the top of the cake where the tassel is. I could not believe it!! It just didn't seem like it was going to stop, so quickly I grabbed my knife and cut out that piece of fondant and replaced it with a new piece. To cover the join I added a boarder around where the 'CLASS OF' which was on the new piece of fondant. Nobody noticed it was not supposed to be like that, only me (and now you). I was disappointed since I saw the original look of the cake just before it began to crack and it looked sharp and clean, but now I don't mind it too much.

Vanilla cake with Strawberry Tea filling! Yes, it's infused with Yorkshire Tea :)

Vanilla Cupcakes with chopped strawberries in the center and strawberry buttercream



Hidden under the tassel is the start of the crack going onto the top of the cake.

I simply love making sugar flowers. It is so fun to take a piece of gum past and form something that looks real.
Well this is my first Graduation cake of the year.  I have two more next weekend along with end of school year gifts for the teachers, so it's going to be a very busy week.  Hoping my next two cakes will not have the same thing happen to them, but I'm sure I'll come across a new problem.

Sugar & Spice, Hannah~

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Now you can add Magician to your many talented skills. The graduation cake looks perfect. I love your flower. Your description of the cake and cupcakes is mouthwatering. I love your stories! Gin

Post a Comment