CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Oreo Cheesecake Recipe

I am a big fan of cheesecake!  I just love it but alas my husband can not eat it and my children are not to fond of it (although having said that they are beginning to like it a bit more) therefore I never get to make it too often because if I do I seriously will eat the whole thing!  I only make it for company and once I made it for Teacher Appreciation Week when my son was in Kindergarten and it was a huge hit, so now it's a yearly request.

I thought I would share one of my favourite recipes with you. It's actually a British recipe, but yet uses Oreos which is something that is hard to come by in England and very expensive.  The recipe does say that you can use chocolate bourbon biscuits in replace of the Oreos.  I've never made it with these and to be honest I don't think it would be as good.


Oreo Cheesecake

Base:
350g (12oz) Oreo Cookies
100g (4oz) 1 stick butter, melted
Filling:
800g (13/4lb) Cream Cheese (I use 3 8oz packs)
4 eggs, beaten
175g (6oz) Sugar
200ml (7floz) Heavy whipping cream
350g (12oz) Oreo Cookies, crushed into crumbs using a food processor
400g (14oz) Sour Cream
2tbsp Sugar
Topping:
4 tablespoons sour cream
chocolate curls

  1. To make the base, mix the crushed cookies with the melted butter.  Press firmly into a 10" diameter spring-form cake tin
  2. To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese with the eggs and caster sugar until smooth.  Stir in the cream and pour half of this filling over the base.  Top with the broken cookies and press into the filling.  Cover with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
  3. Place on a baking sheet, and bake in a  preheated oven 190C/375F for 25 mins or until the cheesecake is fairly set around the edges of the tin.
  4. Remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 240C/475F 
  5. Mix the sour cream with the 2 tbsp of sugar and spread over the top of the cheesecake. When the oven reaches the new temperature, return to the oven and bake for exactly 5 mins.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly.
  6. For the topping, spread the remaining sour cream over the cheesecake and sprinkle with the chocolate curls.
Tip: bring the cream cheese to room temperature before using and blend in your mixer before adding the sugar and eggs. 
I also only use 1 packet of Oreo Cookies.  A little over half for the base and then the rest for the inside.

A quick way to make chocolate curls is to use a bar of chocolate and take a knife, scrapping across the back of the chocolate.  Be careful not to cut yourself. I use European chocolate or Ghirardelli.
Hope you really enjoy this recipe!
Have a sweet day,

Sugar & Spice, Hannah~

0 comments:

Post a Comment