CAKES & COOKIES BY HANNAH
Sweets & Cakes
Spices & Sugars
Cupcakes & Cookies
Make the perfect recipes for Friendship

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Unusual Buttercream Recipe

Now that I have some free time I've decided to do some experiments with buttercream and different cake recipes. I thought it would be fun to included the children in these experiments, just to keep them occupied during the summer holidays. Today we made some chocolate chip cupcakes and I used a new buttercream recipe that I just came across. This recipe calls for no icing/confectioners' sugar but granulated sugar instead and it also requires flour and milk! Very strange I thought, so I simply had to try it. My children do not care for buttercream usually, but these cupcakes disappeared very quickly, frosting and all!!! The texture is incredibly smooth and creamy and it's almost like magic that the creaminess occurs since it has granulated sugar in it. The recipe is quite an old recipe and dates back to the 1950's! This is definitely a keeper and one that I will always use on my cupcakes or a dessert cake!! The recipe is below.





1950 Buttercream Recipe

5 tbsp Flour
1 cup (8fl oz, 240ml) milk
1 cup (8oz, 225g) butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
1 cup (7oz, 200g) granulated sugar

~Put the flour into a saucepan and add the milk a few tablespoons at a time, stirring in between. If the milk is added too quickly it will be lumpy.
~Place on the stove top on medium heat and stir constantly with a whisk so no lumps occur.
~Once the roux has thickened remove from the heat and pour or spoon out on to a large plate to cool, stirring every now and again.
~Place the butter and sugar into a mixer and beat until light and fluffy about 5-6 mins on medium speed.
~Add the cooled roux, 2 tbsp at a time, to the butter and sugar, continuing to beat all the time.
~Voila! You have smooth, creamy buttercream!

Next week I'll be making pound cake and another buttercream recipe and covering the cake in fondant to perfect my skills. Some new tools arrive in the post soon and I'm looking forward to using them, hoping that they will help me achieve my goals.

I'll keep you posted!

Happy sugary Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment